Eyelid reconstruction surgery is performed to correct defects in the eyelids caused by trauma, removal of growths or tumors. When going in for surgery – especially of the face – it is important to find the best oculoplastic surgeon in Los Angeles.
At the Orbital Surgery Center of Excellence, our team of oculoplastic surgeons has experience in both ophthalmology and plastic surgery.
Why Would You Need Eyelid Reconstruction?
Although there are several reasons for eyelid reconstruction, one of the main reasons is to remove cancerous growths. The various types of cancers that affect the eyelids include:
- Basal cell carcinoma: This is the most common type of skin cancer that affects they eyelids. Thankfully, basal cell carcinomas do not metastasize, but they can spread to local normal tissue, causing extensive damage and destruction. When basal cell carcinoma spreads, the destruction of normal tissue may lead to some vision impairment. Basal cell carcinoma will begin as a small, firm, raised nodule that will ulcerate in the center and contain fine blood vessels.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: While a less common cancer to the eyelids, when this cancer does occur, it is much more aggressive because it has the ability to metastasize through lymph nodes and affect the whole body. The treatment for this cancer may require radiation therapy, if left alone for too long.
- Malignant melanoma: This type of cancer is very serious and requires immediate action. When found, malignant melanoma needs to be excised at the total depth and width of the cancer. Melanomas are also able to metastasize and cause serious damage to the individual.
- Sebaceous cell carcinoma: This rare cancer originates in the meibomian glands that are responsible for producing the oil for the eyelids.
What Types of Eyelid Reconstruction Procedures Are There?
All the procedures are performed in an outpatient setting with close follow-up following the surgery. Depending on whether you are undergoing cosmetic surgery or surgery to remove a tumor, there are several state-of-the-art, minimally-invasive techniques that are performed at the Orbital Surgery Center of Excellence:
- Mohs eyelid reconstruction: This procedure is used during the resection of cancerous growths. State-of-the-art technology is used for resection of only the cancerous growths, while maintaining as much normal tissue as possible. Incisions are made and then examined under microscopes, allowing the edges of the cancer to been found, and only normal tissue remains.
- Staged eyelid reconstruction: In more severe cases of eyelid reconstruction, several surgeries will need to be performed to give you the most natural look. In this case, it maybe necessary to take skin from other areas of your body (skin grafts) to help with healing process, and allow for minimal scarring.
Contact an Oculoplastic Surgeon in Los Angeles
Whenever you are looking to have surgery, especially involving the face, it is of the utmost importance to find the most qualified individual in his or her field. At the Orbital Surgery Center of Excellence, our doctors are leaders in oculoplastic surgery and eyelid reconstruction. For more information on eyelid reconstruction surgery in Los Angeles, or to schedule a consultation, contact us at (888) 559-4341.
Next, check out eye surgery before and after photos.